I managed to steal some time to focus on finally beating this game. I lost my previous save game when I upgraded to Windows 7 and that save was sitting on the last mission. In a burst of gaming time I managed to get from level 5 all the way through to level 20 and finally went on the last mission.
This was inspired by the expansion being available, Chaos Rising, which I also bought and started playing though I didn’t get far.
A couple of gripes about the game overall:
- I miss being able to build a base
- I miss being able to build an army how I see fit
- I miss holding points
- I miss being able to save progress during a mission so I can come back to it (seems you have to exit missions to save)
A couple of gripes about the expansion:
- I hate that my terminator armor suits are disabled
- I hate that my squads start with gear that isn’t as good as I have in my stockpile (likely due to my first gripe)
- I dislike that when you import from the previous campaign you’re tossed right into a mission (see fourth gripe above)
- I’m not keen on there being prompts for interaction in the mission briefing without there being any choice (that I’m aware of) – if you’re going to try to add an RP element to the game, you need to give choices and let those choices have an impact.
I do admit I like the destructible terrain and wargear aspect of the game. I do like that the squads have personality and that was extended on in Chaos Rising.
I’m looking forward to playing the expansion when I get to it… which will likely be sometime next year.