Here’s a number of excuses for my weak ass raid DPS last night (by weak ass I mean not getting over 2500DPS).
1. My glyphs were in an experimental state; I didn’t have Vengeance or Exorcism glyphs.
2. I do have a sub-par enchant on my chest (+8 to all stats instead of +10 to all stats)
3. I have some crappy gems slotted; yellow +8 to str +8 to crit instead of +10/+10 and a +30 to stamina instead of a prismatic +10 to all stats to meet my meta gem reqs.
4. I don’t think my Berserker enchant proc’ed at all and I’m starting to think the straight up +AP enchant is better.
5. I could probably use better Trinkets.
6. I’m using a new UI and whenever I switch my UI there is always a period of adjustment. In this case, I have to adjust where I look to see what’s enabled; Exorcism and Hammer of Wrath – which never looked like it was lit up.
7. I was actually dropping some heals here and there instead of focusing totally on DPS. Hey, when Art of War is up and Exorcism is on CD, why not drop a Flash Heal here or there? Aside from the slight delay in getting to some DPS abilities.
8. I died near the begining of one of the worm fights.
9. Having to run back and forth from healers who had snobolds on their back to the boss cost me.
10. I was wearing pants. EDIT: I completely forgot that Holy Wrath also does damage to all creatures so it wasn’t in my rotation.
I’m having a hard time stretching the excuses to 10.
Either way, my DPS was way off and I need to make some adjustments. The first four items listed are something I can work on, in fact, I’ve adjusted my Glyphs. I have materials for enchantments on #2 and I’ve got the cash for #3.I think #4 is just a matter of getting mats together for that enchant. Item #5 is going to take some luck or a lot of coin grinding.
Gearwise, I’ve got what ever I could get with Emblems to the point where I don’t need Emblems of Conquest anymore. I’ve also grabbed two pieces of T9 gear from running 30 days of Heroic Dungeons (I now need to run about 25 days of those dungeons for 1 more piece; with 3 pieces available). EDIT: I did some more research and found a small number (roughly 4) of potential gear upgrades that I can get from running instances and a couple of odd upgrades from Emblems of Conquest or even Valor (apparently I missed a ring that was available using EoVs).
Sad thing is I don’t think I’ve gotten a single gear upgrade for my main spec since raiding with NFD, most of it has come from Emblems of Conquest or I got while raiding with my previous guild. A couple of pieces that I think I might have gained while raiding with NFD are for my offspec. EDIT: This was just an odd observation or a, “Hmm.. what have I been doing?” sort of thought. I had gained no upgrades from raiding Ulduar with my previous guild and I hit Ulduar more often with them – 25 man flavor at that!
That strikes me as odd, though I admit I have missed a bunch of Ulduar raids (wife faction, too many people signed up or what ever) or the ones I went on didn’t drop upgrades for my main spec. Regular ToC (or CC) is also scheduled for Wednesdays which is my D&D night and I’m not going to skip D&D to taid.
I guess that means I’ll need to hit up more Ulduar or regular ToC raids by PUGing if the schedule doesn’t change. I’m always hesitant to PUG raids. You never know if you’re just going to get one big fail and get saved to only having beat one boss. You never know what the loot rules are, even if they’re stated before hand there is a worry that someone is going to come up with some obscure thing to swipe loot out from under someone else. And I’m sort of saving myself for my guild.
That’s a big part of it. I don’t want to miss a guild run because I’m saved already because my preference is to run with guildies.
On the other hand, maybe my DPS role as a Paladin just doesn’t suit me? Maybe I should switch mains to the Hunter once I get him to 80 (half a level away)? It’d involve investigating a whole other set of mechanics and abilities to get him up to snuff. I’d have to grind through all the factions again. Hunters are DPS focused mainly, while a Paladin is supposed to be further down the totem pole for DPS. And Hunters are ranged DPS, something the raids I attend seem to be lacking – it’s usually filled with melee DPS.
Maybe I should step away from the DPS role and go back to what I used to do in raids – heal. I could get my Priest up to 80 fairly quickly if I focused on it. He’s already duel spec’ed to have Shadow and Holy. As a healer it’s about keeping people up and staying mobile in some cases. Beauty is that I think gear for both specs would be pretty close to the same. Again, I’d have to look up the mechanics, see what’s what and learn something different.
That was in there just for UFTimmy who keeps telling me I’m going to switch mains. I’ll admit, it is tempting, but I think I have too much invested in Lannister to switch mains.🙂