So I’m up to the part in the MoP Legendary quest where I need to do one of the challenges to get an ilvl 600 cloak which turns into a legendary item once patch 5.4 drops. It’s not easy.
The mighty UFTimmy tells me that it is easy, just do the Tank challenge as DPS and be sure to taunt when you need to. You’ll blow right through it.
Okay… I try the melee DPS one anyway. Man is it tough. I switch over to try the tank one and guess what? They’ve fixed the whole ‘do the tank challenge as melee dps’ thing. Yay.
So I try the tank one as a tank and just can’t do it. I’m taking way too much damage and, quite honestly, I have no idea what the Prot tank abilities are. It’s my secondary spec that I used waaaaaay back in heroics when I was getting tired of bad PUG tanks in a different battlegroup.
Frustrated, I exit the game in a fit, unsubscribe, uninstall and delete all the crap left behind in my WoW folder. Fuck it. I’m too old to be playing video games anyway, right?
Yeah. Not really. So back to the melee DPS challenge. Make adjustments, read up, etc.
My main issue were the adds he summons – they were doing too much damage. I switched out some things to snare them so I could just leave them trailing behind me while I beat on Wrathion. That sorta worked but not very well.
I consistently get to the a phase where he starts doing a mirror image thing then blows up if you don’t find him in time. He does that over and over. This is my new issue. So I look into how to better AOE in that scenario. Let me stop for a second and say, “How you play a DPS in this challenge is not how you play a DPS in the rest of the game.” Thank you Blizzard for this sort of thing. (Replace “Thank you Blizzard” with “Fuck you Blizzard”.) Shockwave seems decent here, Thunderclap too oh and Heroic Leap for those hard to reach places. Whirlwind – a big part of real AOE DPSing as a Fury Warrior is not useful here. Also anything with a long cooldown is also useless. What I wouldn’t have given for a Fan of Knives like ability that could be spammed until the cows came home.
Okay so more adjustments and I give it a go. Still rough because of the adds. The combined damage (btw, the 180 degree frontal cone isn’t so 180… it’s more like 200 degrees) eventually wears me down. Back to reading. I see one strat where the guy suggests killing the adds. They get rezzed every little bit but you get a brief amount of time between to focus on Wrathion. Pop some defensive cooldowns and go to town on them then switch.
Cool. I try that and it seems to work well. I’ve switched to Protection Stance to reduce damage – Battle and Berserker stance do nothing for DPS increases, just change how you generate rage (doing damage and taking damage, respectively). In Protection Stance I get a 25% damage reduction while generating rage while simply being in combat. Win win to me.
Second attempt after changing my strategy to kill the stupid adds and I get it. (Profile)
Taking a look at my Fury Warrior talent tree and glyphs I see everything you don’t really want to do in order actually do DPS. Go figure.
What did I change? Here’s the list of things to de-Fury your Fury Warrior to complete the fight.
- Protection Stance
- Double Time – good interrupt and movement
- Second Wind – bleh – really, it’s passive so if it needs to trigger it will but it really is underwhelming (never use this as DPS)
- Piercing Howl – snares the blobs (never use this as DPS)
- Shockwave – stuns the blobs/Wrathion and is good to use if you nail a lot of mirror images (never use this as DPS)
- Safeguard – I didn’t change this.
- Bloodbath – DPS increase I macro into my big burst DPS macro; Storm Bolt might be of use here (images/blobs), but I’ve never used it
- Death from Above – reduced cooldown on Heroic Leap is good for the images and just having it available when you need it.
- Unending Rage – probably not needed so much but a bigger pool is nice
- Rude Interruption – slight DPS increase if you do manage to interrupt Wrathion with Pummel
- (NOTE: usually I don’t have Death from Above, instead I glyph Colossus Smash)
- Killing globs – I used Intimidating Shout (never use this as DPS) to fear them, Piercing Howl to snare them and Shockwave when applicable. The globs don’t have a lot of health which opens up Victory Rush which is a helpful heal.
That’s about it.
I’m happy to say the expansion is coming to an end soon with patch 5.4 coming September 15th. I’m looking forward to it… the end that is.
For people who have no clue, Fury Warriors with Single Minded-Fury (dual-wielding single handed weapons) are top DPS for Warriors by a small margin over Titan Grip Fury Warriors. Arms are approximately dead last overall with SMF Warriors only being five ranks above them.
Here’s a rough ranking from Noxxic.